The BIG Awards Committee will select Awardees based upon the scientific quality of the submitted materials. The Awardee must attend the Annual ACSM meeting to present their work in either poster or podium format. Applications will be reviewed by the ACSM BIG Chairs and ACSM BIG Members. The Awardee must attend and will be given their award at the ACSM BIG Annual Meeting. The award consists of a certificate and a check for $400 USD. Awardees must reply to the award notification email within one week to confirm acceptance and confirm their intent to attend the BIG Meeting.
Current or pending student member of the ACSM at the time of the ACSM Annual Meeting. A student is considered eligible for the award if they are someone who has not received his/her doctoral degree in the year prior to the ACSM annual meeting AND an abstract with the student as the first and presenting author has been submitted and accepted for podium or poster presentation at the ACSM Annual meeting. Note: Applicants may concurrently submit for Student Travel Award and Dissertation Award but can only be selected for one award.
Application Submission Materials
1) Letter of nomination and endorsement from the Department Head, Graduate or Undergraduate Advisor. This letter should include a statement specifying the applicant’s contributions and independence to the work being submitted. The letter should also specify that the applicant is seeking the Student Research award.
2) Expanded abstract of original research submitted and accepted to the ACSM annual meeting. The applicant must be the first author and the work should be the author’s own. The format for the abstract must be expanded from the original ACSM abstract to 2 pages, with title, authors and institutions clearly listed, all text in 12 pt font with 1” margins. Subheadings of Introduction, Methods, Results, Discussion and Conclusions should be included. References must be included within the 2-page limit.
3) Copy of e-mail correspondence or letter from ACSM verifying that the submitted abstract has been accepted to the ACSM Annual meeting.
4) Proof of ACSM student membership.
5) Combine all of the above materials into a single PDF with the file name Lastname-Firstname_StudentResearchAward.pdf